- World-renowned choir makes first visit since 2003
- Performing in 8 cities in 14 days
- Tour starts in Boston on April 16th
St Paul’s Cathedral Choir will begin a major 8 venue tour of the USA on April 16th in Boston, MA as it makes its first visit to America in 12 years. The tour will renew a long-standing relationship that the Cathedral has with the USA and marks the first of 3 visits the choir will make over the next 6 years.
Andrew Carwood, Director of Music, said: “This is a very exciting tour for us. In 1953 St Paul’s was the first UK cathedral choir ever to tour the United States. Over six decades on we are thrilled such a strong connection remains and we look forward to sharing our musical heritage and the treasures of the unique English choral tradition with friends old and new.”
The Very Revd Dr David Ison, Dean of St Paul’s, said: “We are delighted to welcome thousands of American visitors to St Paul’s every year. This tour is a way of giving something in return, and enabling a wider audience in the United States to experience for themselves the beauty and wonder of the music we are so lucky to hear regularly. I’m very much looking forward to being a part of this visit, and making new relationships with friends in America.”
The full list of venues and performances (including links to purchase tickets):
BOSTON, MA Trinity Church Thursday 16th April 7.00pm
ATLANTA, GA Cathedral of St Philip Saturday 18th April 7.30pm
MACON, GA Vineville UMC Sunday 19th April 4.00pm
SHREVEPORT, LA First UMC Tuesday 21st April 7.30pm
HOUSTON, TX St Martin’s Episcopal Friday 24th April 7.00pm
WASHINGTON, DC National Cathedral Sunday 26th April 5.00pm
ST PAUL, MN Cathedral of St Paul Tuesday 28th April 7.30pm
VALPARAISO, IN Valparaiso University Wednesday 29th April 7.30pm
- There has been a choir at St Paul’s Cathedral since 1127. 30 boy choristers and 12 vicars choral provide music for 8 sung services a week.
- Regarded as one of the best in the world, the choir of St Paul’s regularly leads services of British national importance from State occasions such as the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty The Queen to the funeral of Baroness Thatcher.
- The choir regularly records and broadcasts, most recently a live performance of choral evensong on BBC Radio 3
- St Paul’s Cathedral is home to the American Memorial Chapel. The Cathedral hosts the annual Thanksgiving Service for the American Community in London and has held a close relationship with the USA over many years.